Posted on

Bournemouth high rise fire caused by electric bike

Bournemouth high rise fire caused by electric bike

Over 50 firefighters were called to YMCA Bournemouth on Westover Road at around 1.30am on December 18 after a fire erupted in one of the flats on the fifth floor.

Following an investigation by Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service it was found that a converted electric bike was the cause of the fire.

The fire service is now warning the public about potential fire risks with lithium-ion batteries and to only buy from reputable sellers.

Station Manager Shaun Milton said: “We know that e-bikes and e-scooters are increasingly popular, but it’s vital that owners understand what to look for when buying them, and how to charge them safely.

“Anyone buying an e-bike conversion kit should always purchase from a reputable seller, and check that it complies with British or European safety standards. You should also check that the various components are compatible.”

Original Post from